Saturday, July 26, 2008

CT Scan

Well, I had a CT Scan for my head a few weeks back. I hit my head on the metal side of a venthood at work and was feeling pretty bad, so the doctor told me to get one. The interesting thing about that is I've hit my head so many times that I've always wondered what a CT scan would reveal.

I have had several head injuries that were at least mild concussion level. I once fell out of a barn and landed on my head. I was once knocked unconcious during a self-defense class (believe it or not, I was helping train in the class - some people learn too well!). I was kicked in the face during a sparring match and suffered a broken cheekbone and my worst concussion; three weeks later I cracked the back of my head against a wooden armrest. After that one, I really started noticing funny things, like memory loss.

Well, with this latest one, I went to the ER after I hit my head and the doctor pretty much just sent me on my way after completely ignoring my symptoms (thank you, hospital that is not Phoebe in Albany, GA). But the next day I felt absolutely horrible. So a CT scan.

Good news - the brain scan was negative! The (other) doctor said that everything was normal. I had once been told by a doctor in passing that I should studiously avoid any activity that could lead to more head injuries. She even said that more could potentially be fatal! Well, no need to worry about that now. Even though I am suffering from post-concussion syndrome (ahhh, headaches, I missed y'all), I don't have to limit my activities to the less-than-dangerous. As long as I don't get blistering headaches from something, I'm free!

So, you know what this means, right? Hello, sparring!

No comments: